Mamavation Monday – A Pledge

In my last post I talked about celebrating my weight loss successes in 2012. I’ve lost about 47 pounds since starting to eat healthfully and exercise regularly. It’s been quite a commitment and I’m proud of how far I’ve come, but I have more to loose and goals to meet in 2013.

I’ve found that if I set goals that are realistic and clearly defined, I’m more likely to meet them. But I can’t do it alone. I need tools and resources and a supportive community in order to be successful. This is especially true at this point in my journey. In the beginning, it was enough to just limit my calorie intake and eliminate things like soft drinks and fried foods from my diet. Then I started to exercise. I started walking, then running a little and adding Jazzercise classes to my weekly routine.

I’ve kind of hit a plateau recently and am struggling to continue losing weight. I’ve exhausted my expertise and need some additional help going forward. When I heard about the online Mamavation Sistahood community, I was immediately interested in joining.

The Sistahood is a community weight loss support group for moms in social media. Moms like me can learn and support one another in weight loss and fitness goals while learning to share healthy habits with their families. They have an online forum where moms can network and help each other and they sponsor challenges (I applied for the #iheartOmron Challenge and am crossing my fingers that I’m selected next month!).

I love that they accept women at all stages of the journey and encourage them to stay active by participating in weekly blog updates and a Monday night online TV chat show. It’s just the accountability I need mixed with the support I know is necessary in order to make healthy living a commitment for a lifetime.

I’ve started a list of goals for the first quarter 2013 and I hope that as a member of the Sistahood, I’ll reach them all and be motivated to continue adding to my list for the rest of the year:

1. Participate in a 5K with my family by February 2013
  2. Take body measurements by January 7, 2013
  3. Sign up for and begin training for a 10K by March 2013
  4. Lose 10 pounds by February 15, 2013
  5. Run at least 2 times a week
  6. Take a Jazzercise class at least 3 times a week
  7. Blog weekly about my weight loss journey, my goals and tools that have helped me achieve success including healthy recipes

So I’m pledging to join the Sistahood. For me and my family. What about you? Do you have goals for 2013? Is getting healthy on your list? Join me!

Signature

Comments

1. 1
    sprittibee says:

Hi Jenn! πŸ™‚ Nice to meet you – surfed in from Mamavation Boards. I hope I get to meet you in person at Blissdom. I am really counting on being one of the photographers there this year! πŸ˜‰ I also saw that you were a Wildside blogger! Small world! I almost did that this year but chickened out at the last minute because my kids are little. I have an almost 4 and almost 2 (and I’m 40 – shhhh!), and then an older set that is almost 16 and almost 14. Yes, we are crazy. πŸ™‚ So I’m still livin’ the dream, too. Hope to get to know you better on this fantastic fitness journey in 2013.

• 1.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Hey Heather. Love your blog and glad you stopped by mine today. We HAVE to meet up at Blissdom. I hope we both get selected for the Omron Challenge through Mamavation (crossing fingers and toes!) πŸ™‚ Glad we we sharing this fitness journey together. We can do it!!!!

2. 2
    sprittibee says:

OH YEAH – I’m in Austin… but spend a lot of time in H-town (where I’m from).

3. 3

Awesome job on your weight loss this past year!! Welcome to the Sistahood – we’re happy to have you! πŸ™‚

• 3.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Thanks Kristin! I’m excited about what’s to come this year and having the support of such a great group of women!

4. 4
    Megan M. says:

Hi Jenn! I pledged the Sistahood this week, too, and I’m looking forward to the journey with you! Your goals are great – I love that they are specific and attainable. I’m a bit jealous that you’re doing a 5k and training for the 10k in your goals – I so want to be a runner, but I just haven’t found the love for it yet. Any tips?

• 4.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Congrats Megan! You HAVE to try Couch to 5K. It’s an app and it takes you from not running at all to running a 5K. In early September I couldn’t even run from my front door to the driveway and in early November I ran an entire 5K! You start just running for seconds, then minutes at a time (the app tells you when to walk and when to run) gradually you increase the amount you run. It was hard and even 3/4 through I still didn’t “enjoy” running (I would curse every time the app “lady” said “start running now!”) but then one day it clicked for me. Now I really enjoy the challenge it presents and the opportunity it gives me to reflect, tune out the world and listen to good music. I’m not breaking any speed records, but I’m just proud that I can now run 3 miles at a time without stopping or feeling like I’m going to pass out!!! LOL!

5. 5
    Lydia says:

Welcome! So happy to have you joining us on Mamavation. πŸ™‚

• 5.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Thanks Lydia!
      Looking forward to good things this year and making 2013 my year to get healthy! Love having the Sistahood supporting me!