Attend a New Movie Press Screening in Houston…Bully.

We love going to the movies and I love reviewing what’s new out there on Still Living The Dream. As you know, I attended The Hunger Games premiere in Houston and loved it (you can read about my thoughts here). Last night, my family and I attended a screening of Mirror, Mirror and I’ll tell you all about that tomorrow.

Being the first to see a film in Houston is exciting – it’s one of my favorite parts of my job.

How would YOU like to get the opportunity to be the first to see a film in Houston? I have a special deal for Still Living The Dream readers for a very powerful film that is coming out soon.

The first 50 people who respond to this post will get special passes to attend a screening (and bring a friend!)

The film is Bully; a documentary that takes an unflinching and emotional look into the world of juvenile bullying. What are the remedies? Can this epidemic be stopped? Why do kids bully others? These are just a few of the questions that BULLY attempts to examine in a thought-provoking and enriching manner.

Running Time: 98 minutes

MPAA Rating: R for some language

I’m excited to provide this opportunity to my readers in Houston because I feel like we need to be talking more about this issue and helping our kids and our schools in any way we can so that tragedies can be avoided.

Directed by Sundance and Emmy-Award winning filmmaker Lee Hirsch, the film offers an intimate look at how bullying has touched the lives of five kids and their families.

This film is not for young children. Two of the stories included in the film are about children; a 17-year-old and an 11-year-old, who killed themselves from being bullied.

I think it would be a great film to see if you are a parent or an educator and I urge you to attend if you are passionate about this issue. As a mother with two young children, I know I am.

The premiere is Thursday, April 5th at 7:00 p.m. in Central Houston. If you would like to attend, please respond to this post and I will give you the exact location and code to download your tickets. The first 50 people who respond will get two passes to see this special screening….but you will need to arrive at the theatre early in order to get a seat!

SYNOPSIS

Over 13 million American kids will be bullied this year, making it the most common form of violence experienced by young people in the nation. BULLY is a beautifully cinematic, character-driven documentary. At its heart are those with huge stakes in this issue whose stories each represent a different facet of America’s bullying crisis. Filmed over the course of the 2009/2010 school year, BULLY opens a window onto the pained and often endangered lives of bullied kids, revealing a problem that transcends geographic, racial, ethnic and economic borders. It documents the responses of teachers and administrators to aggressive behaviors that defy “kids will be kids” clichés, and it captures a growing movement among parents and youths to change how bullying is handled in schools, in communities and in society as a whole.

For more information about this movie, visit www.thebullyproject.com/.

Signature

Comments

1. 1
    Mary says:

This sounds great! I’d love to go see this! Where is it showing?

2. 2
    Allison says:

I would love to be able to attend this screening. I’m a high school guidance counselor and feel like this movie is coming out at a great time. We need to make more people aware of the bullying epidemic.

3. 3
    Kay M. says:

I would love to attend this screening. I have teens, and the problem seems to be escalating. Would love to know how to help in my community.

• 3.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

I think it will be a good one to see if you are a parent with teens. Let me know what you think about it after the screening! And check out http://www.thebullyproject.com to see what kind of programs are developing in conjunction with this film.

4. 4
    Meghan says:

I would love to take my daughter to see this movie! I have 2 teenagers and a tween and I also work in an elementary school and see how early bullying starts and how early it needs to be nipped in the bud!

• 4.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Amen, Meghan! So glad you are going to see this and have the opportunity to share with others and make a difference. Thank you for all you do for our kids and our schools!

5. 5
    Andrew says:

I would love to attend this movie. To view this monumental contribution to society.

• 5.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Andrew, I agree. I can’t wait to hear what you think about the film after you see it. Be sure to come back and comment!

6. 6
    Laura says:

I would love to take my 12 year old son and his friend to see this movie. I think every parent and child over ten should see this film together! Thank you for the opportunity to view it.

• 6.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Just remember that the movie is rated R (for language). I think while its not a film for young children, older kids – especially those in middle and high school should see it (especially together with a parent) and am anxious to hear what you and your son think of the film. Come back and let me know how the film was!

• 6.1.1
        Laura says:

Yes the rating has me concerned, but when I learned it was gained from the language then I decided to allow my son to see it. No matter how much we protect our children, they are going to be exposed to violence and profanity. It is out job as parents to teach them right from wrong and to make sense of the world around them. My son has been bullied to the point that he actually told me that he wanted to harm himself. It broke my heart and it scared me more than I could have thought possible. Even though my son is tall for his age and has an athletic build, he was severly bullied in school. He refused to hit another child, even when he came home with a black eye. He said hitting was wrong, and he wasn’t going to let someone else bad decisions cause him to make a bad decision. He actually walked away. His father was furious at him for not fighting back “like a man”, I have never been prouder of my boy for walking away. He suffered because of it.

We’ve moved school districts and he goes to a much smaller school that does not tolerate bullying. he is thriving there. My son lived this for a while, and in some way I believe every child does. I want him to see this. I think it will help him, regardless of the language used.

• 6.1.1.1
          Laura says:

Thank you again for the opportunity to go! I truly appreciate it!

• 6.1.1.2
          Jennifer Patrick says:

I agree with you and had this very discussion with a friend and fellow blogger. The rating is because of the language kids use in school – so they are hearing this everyday!!! I think if kids (12 and older) aren’t seeing this, then we are missing a huge opportunity for discussion and learning. So glad things are better for you and your child in his new school!

7. 7
    Catherine says:

I would love to see this! I work in a middle school, and I think it’s absolutely important that teachers be up to date on this kind of thing.

• 7.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

I completely agree and thank you so much for the hard work you do for our kids and our schools!

8. 8
    Pamela Johnson says:

I have been following the media around this documentary and would love to attend!

9. 9
    James says:

I’ve been wanting to see this movie as well. I’ve been telling all of my friends who are teachers about it.

10. 10
    Evan says:

I have been following this movie and think the message is so important. It would mean a lot to me to be able to see this. 🙂

11. 11
    Amanda says:

I would love to see this film! Thanks for offering free passes. This sounds like a really important film everyone needs to see.

12. 12
    Laura says:

I am an elementary school counselor and would love to see this movie. I think it is an important message that needs to get out. I want to see how I can help those students in the school.

13. 13
    Janis says:

I would be interested in attending. Do you still have passes (2) available?
    Thanks so much for offering this,
    Janis

14. 14
    Sarah says:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I work with youth and would be very interested in seeing this.

15. 15
    Jennifer Williams says:

I think this is a really important film – I was so glad to see the offer to receive passes – do you still have 2 available? I would love to see this. thanks!

16. 16
    Javannie Owen says:

I am so grateful for the opportunity to see this important film. It is a subject very near and dear to my heart. Thank you!

17. 17
    Jennifer Patrick says:

I just saw Piers Morgan on CNN with the filmmaker and Weinstein and they are trying very hard to get the rating (r) overturned so that parents can take their kids to see the film. I’m told that it doesn’t have that much profanity and is something teens need to see!

18. 18
    Emily Arroyo says:

I would like to take my ‘little brother’ to this movie… i participate in big brothers/big sisters. what a noteworthy topic and important issue. glad that someone made a movie about it.

• 18.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Emily, I’m so excited that you will be taking your little brother from Big Brothers/Big Sisters! What a great program and what a great mentor you are! Thanks for all you do!

19. 19
    Jill Gracely says:

Can’t wait to see this. Thanks!

20. 20
    Adam G. says:

My wife and I would love to see this! Thanks so much.

21. 21
    Kristi says:

Sounds very interesting. As a teacher I would live to be informed by this film!

• 21.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Kristi, thanks for all your hard work as a teacher and for taking back what you learn from the film to your school! I’m so excited that educators like yourself are going and can’t wait to hear what you think about the film.

22. 22
    Theodora says:

I think it would be a great opportunity as a mentor to see this film.

23. 23
    Adriana says:

I have been waiting for this movie to come out! Can’t wait to take my 12 year old.

24. 24
    Megan says:

I saw a talkkshow about this movie- looks great. Great message and topic that needs to be more open for discussion.

25. 25
    Ana Maria Harris says:

I would love to see this movie! I’ve been waiting in anticipation for the premiere! Bullying is an important issue and I’m glad to see it being addressed in this manner.

• 25.1

Ana Maria,
      Can you send me your email address? The one you gave me with your comment bounced back when I sent an email with information about how to get your tickets. Thanks! Jenn

26. 26
    linda freeman says:

I would like to see Bully in Houston

27. 27
    Zach Durbin says:

Can I please have a pass? I have been DYING to see this movie but I can’t find it anywhere in houston!
    It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 😀

28. 28
    Libba Rickaway says:

I would love to see this movie. I am a 5th grade teacher and this is something my student’s need to see very badly. I hope that I get to go!!

29. 29
    Sandra says:

I would love to see this movie! As a parent of a daughter who is being bullied, I am very concerned for her safety. It makes me very sad and angry to see her come home crying about how much she hates school. This film could not have come at a better time for my daughter! I really hope we get the opportunity to see it!
    Thank you!

• 29.1

Sandra,
      I’m so sorry your daughter is going through this right now! I hope that the film provides some insight and perhaps is helpful in some way to your situation. We need to get the word out that in Houston, we don’t accept this type of behavior in our schools! No one should be afraid to go to school. I hope that your particular situation is being addressed by those in authority positions at your school. You should tell them (administration) about the movie! I have a couple of free passes left. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter….

30. 30
    Carla says:

I would love to see this movieI am a big advocate against bullying!!! I am always in contact with my child’s school officials about any and everything that deals with bullying!!! My daughter has been bullied, I was bullied!!! I am determined to stop the cycle!

31. 31
    Sandy says:

I would really like to see this film. I have a friend being bullied and I think this movie is a perfect example of what is happening to him. This movie is great to watch to show how this problem Is growing not bein stopped. If I got tickets to see this movie, it would be amazing. Thank you very much 🙂

32. 32
    Tina says:

As a teacher and parent, I would love to see the screening!!! “It takes a village to raise a child..” is becoming more and more important as I see children coming into the classrooms so ill-equipped. I saddens me to see children who want acceptance and love and do the bullying are the victims of it at home. It is my desire to see the movie, become encouraged to get parents to go with their children. If many parents see this movie, they may see some of the characteristics of bullying within and with God’s help, we can all do our ‘small’ part in making a change, a positive change.

• 32.1

Tina,
      I agree and am so glad that you are going to the screening. As a teacher you have the opportunity to influence others in a positive way but you are right, parents are the first role models. I hope that this movie starts discussions in the classroom, in homes, on playgrounds…..and that more and more children stand up for others and say “Bullying is not acceptable.”

33. 33
    Yvette Hayes says:

I would love to go and take my daughter. Her and her friends at Cypress Ranch made this lip dub and debuted it last week on YouTube to bring awareness and to take a stand against bullying. The song is an orginal by one of their classmates Kaitlyn K. They are hoping it will go viral. Thanks for bringing awareness to this important issue. Here is the link to the video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waAqJ6727Hk&feature=related

You can also go to the NoBull campaign and vote for their video at: http://nobull.votigo.com/contests/showentry/1042123?v=50

• 33.1
      Jennifer Patrick says:

Wow, Yvette! That is so cool! Good for Cy Ranch! I’ll spread the word about the video on twitter and facebook and see if we can get it some more hits (and votes!). That’s terrific!

34. 34
    Veronica says:

I am really looking forward to this film! It should be a requirement for high school students, its just the reality!

35. 35
    Milehimama says:

I’d be interested in going.

36. 36
    Lisa McCoy says:

Thanks for what you are doing, Jenn!! There are quite a few that I want to see this film!!

37. 37
    Paige Wolf says:

I wanna see this so bad! As a jr high teacher it is so important to help kids understand!

38. 38
    Ana Booth says:

Sounds like a positive movie!

39. 39
    Laura says:

Jennifer, Thank you again for the movie passes. It was wonderful to meet you. The movie was so powerful and so emotional for both my son and I. We will be sharing this with everyone we know and encouraging as many people as possible to see this movie and use it as a method to start conversations, to reach out to others, and to commincate with their children. I was really angered by the responses of school administrators seen in the film. I know how desperate the parents were feeling and the frustration of dealing with the school system. I pray this film helps in educating those that work with kids, and opens others eyes to the plaugue bullying truly is. The whole film I just wished I could reach out and hug those children, just love them and teach them that they are beautiful, incredible and being different is sooooooo amazing!

Thank you again, I truly appreciate it.

40. 40
    Kris says:

Hi Jennifer!! I am an assistant principal in a middle school. I was bullied as a child (mostly in middle school) and I think that is why I work with that age group. I have been in education 19 years and bullying is prevalent in all of the schools where I have worked. I would love to attend this movie screening so that I can use it as another tool for discussion with kids when we are talking about bullying.
    I am excited that such a movie has been made!! I carry the scars with me forever and hopefully help students every single day to work through the pain.

• 40.1

Hey Kris,
      Unfortunately the screening event has already taken place but it should be showing at the Greenway Grand Palace Stadium 24 Theatre on Weslayan starting this Friday. It was really good and I highly recommend you see it. With your personal experience and your position, you have an opportunity to help so many people. I’m so thankful for people like you in our school systems that go out of their way to help others…..