Art is Therapeutic

Yesterday was a very, very sad day for me. My husband and I had to put our sweet dog, Sadie, to sleep. She was a part of our family for 16 years and I can’t yet put into words how much I miss her.  When I am able to write more about how much she meant to our family, I will. But today I’ve just felt empty.

When I woke up this morning I walked over the spot where she used to sleep (in the middle of the hallway!) and have started several times to let her out back. I can almost here her little feet on the tile floor and her scratching at the back door to let me know she’s ready to come back in.

Not really knowing what to do with myself…I made a prototype of the ornament I’m going to contribute to the Jesse Advent Tree project I’m doing this year.  A group of 25 friends have gotten together and we each drew a day of advent (December 1 – 25). Using the symbol of that day – we will each make 25 ornaments (one for ourselves and one to exchange with each person). When we are all done, we will have 25 different ornaments to open each day of advent along with a bible verse to read and reflect upon. I’ve done this before and decided that I’m going to give my set as a present to someone very special to me.

This year I drew the 24th of December – an angel. I used some techniques I learned at the mixed media art class I took while at Spark.

Sadie was my angel.

Signature

Comments

1. 1
    Nancy Wyatt says:

Sorry for your loss my sweet friend! Love your art piece! xoxo

2. 2
    Claudia Arias says:

So sorry for your loss. May GOD bless you and your family.

3. 3
    Mary-Kay Tilden says:

I am so sorry. It is a hard time when this happens and especially hard on the one who spent the most time with her. Please know we are thinking of you.

4. 4
    Lisa Castillo says:

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I think it’s symbolic that you got the angel to create. It is beautiful.

5. 5
    Tove Mayer says:

So sorry for your loss Jennifer. we can never understand the loss unless we have our own dog. I can’t even think about that day for our Twinkle. Hope you can find comfort in the wonderful memories.
    Tove

6. 6
    Cathe Holden says:

Oh Jennifer. How completely heartbreaking. I’ll say a prayer of comfort for you and your family. There’s just no way around missing someone so special. Just know you’re thought of.

7. 7
    marci says:

ahh jennifer i am so sorry! we had to do that a few years ago to our chocolate lab…it was sooo hard!
    your ornament is beautiful…what a sweet way to remember.

8. 8
    Nicole Maki says:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Jennifer.

Sadie looks like a very special dog and you had a wonderful long life together. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers in the days ahead.

Your ornament is beautiful!

9. 9
    Barbara Frazier says:

Jennifer – so very sorry for your loss. It’s a difficult time, but just keep remembering all the wonderful years you had together and know that you were a good mama to her.

10. 10
    Mercedes says:

Oh, Jennifer, I’m so sorry for the loss of your sweet Sadie! It’s so difficult to lose a member of the family. What a wonderful way to get past this moment; creating something so beautiul. The advent ornaments with friends is such a charming idea! Hmm, I wonder if I could get my friends to participate in something like that with me?