I just want to give you a big ol’ hug. Annie is five (going on 16 ) and I’m already pulling out my hair. She’s already dealing with issues I just don’t remember coming up at this age like jealousy and hurt feelings surrounding friendships, clothes (really?) and self-esteem. I can only what it will be like when she gets older. Luckily there are tools to help her (and me) deal with issues such as these.
My friend has a 10-year-old daughter and they love Discovery Girls Magazine. Written for those eight to 13 years old, the magazine is full of age-appropriate information presented in a fun way so that both kids AND parents are pleased. They talk about fashion, friendships, being active, spending money wisely and tons of other topics that girls this age are interested in. In the June/July 2011 issue they had an article about whether or not you are ready for a bra and the options out there, good books to read, a story about a slumber party disaster, embarrassing moments from readers and interesting foods from around the world. I like the important messages they present in a positive and entertaining way.
Discovery Girls just published a special collector’s edition to celebrate their 10 year anniversary. It’s filled with their best quizzes (like are your friends true-blue?), helpful advice (like skincare problems solved) and sticky situations (like having to choose between two friends). Colorful layouts, stickers and great articles are packed within this ad-free magazine. I’m holding on to it for Annie. She’ll be ready soon.
They also have a Fab Girls Guide book series. I looked over the Friendship Hardship book. Boy oh boy. Information on how to be truly popular (hint: stay true to yourself), what to do when a friendship ends and dealing with mean girls. I LOVE this book and I’m going to start using it with Annie immediately. I want her to have a good self-esteem and to be able to handle issues like bullies.
Guess what? I’m giving away a Discovery Girls prize pack – because I’m awesome like that and I want you to havefab resources at your fingertips…especially if you are dealing with issues like these right now.
The Prize Pack includes:
- a one-year subscription to Discovery Girls Magazine (six issues)
- the Discovery Girls Survival Guide Collector’s Edition
- the Discovery Girl’s book series which includes FOUR different books. Yay!
- Follow me on Twitter at @jpatrickcomm
- Follow me via Google Friend Connect
- Sign up to receive Still Living The Dream posts via email (see top of this blog)
- “Like” Still Living The Dream on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Still-Living-The-Dream/179737685406056
- Tweet this giveaway using the following language: “Need help with issues facing your 8-13 year old daughter? Win a Discovery Girls Magazine Prize Pack at http://bit.ly/ntes3p @jpatrickcomm”